Monday, March 21, 2011

The Weather

Despite the torrential rains today, I had to take some children outside.  Days that feel the super full moon necessitate some outside time.

Of course, as soon as we stepped outside, it went from sprinkling to utter downpour.


We played for a while but after a few minutes of getting drenched we huddled under the patio overhang, just me and the boys.  We talked about the rain and the weather and I asked the kids if they thought it would just rain or if they thought we'd hear thunder and lightening.  It was a 50-50 split.

One of the kids began to talk about waves and how the rain could make a big wave.  He didn't seem bothered by the possibility of a big wave, but it was on his mind and he was sharing.  "It will rain and then a big wave will come and it will get everything all wet and it might break something."


I wondered what he had seen on the news or overheard adults talking about that made him think this.  I didn't really know what to say except to make sure that this child did not feel a sense of danger.  I said, "You know, it might rain and rain and rain and get everything wet, but we are very far away from the ocean so no waves are going to get us wet!" He looked at me and said, "But a big wave could come because its raining so hard" and I replied, "Waves come at the beach...we're not at the beach!  We're so far away from the beach.  And are we going to go to the beach today?" "No!" he said, almost giddy, and we laughed like it was the silliest idea ever.  I had a feeling that part of his laughter was relief...but that could be me reading into it a little too much.  Either way, we shared laughter together and that alone brought a ray of sunlight into this dark and dreary California day.

Haiti relief fundraiser we hosted last winter--a PJ party!

*Stephanie*

P.S.  Teacher Tom's post from a few days ago came to mind as I conversed with this child.  I highly recommend it--it's moving.

1 comment:

  1. Just tried snap painting and LOVED it!! Thanks for the inpsiration! Gianne from cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! Always appreciated : )

Wrestling is good for children.

Originally published Sept 2010 Many of our parents seemed shocked when they came to pick up their children from Beansprouts and found the...